Forum

Keeping children entertained during performances  

RSS

Team RBPA
(@jennyv)
Member Admin
15/05/2019 2:50 am  

Question from member: Any advise on how to keep children engaged during parades, performances, etc.?

Team RBPA
(@jennyv)
Member Admin
15/05/2019 2:51 am  

Reply from Member 2: We always start prepping them days/weeks ahead of time by watching videos of what they will see. For theater performances we read books about the story, watch sample videos about it, and in general teach them about the performance. We talk about the role of an audience member and read stories of kids/favorite characters going to shows. My girls are 6 and 3 and we’ve been taking them to various performances since they were each 2 with no issue. I truly think front loading is key so they understand WHAT they are watching. Also giving them specific things to look for during the performance keeps them engaged 🙂

ReplyQuote
Team RBPA
(@jennyv)
Member Admin
15/05/2019 2:52 am  

Reply from Rachel: I completely agree with Member 2! Ideally they are engaged enough in the performance because you've prepared them well. 

Just in case they're antsy and you need them to still sit still, specific things they can look for during a performance: a certain number of items in different colors, different letters, count how many they see of something. If it's a place where they can write, you can give them a scavenger hunt (like you would in a car) where they can cross off things they can see.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register