Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What Does Your Child Do When They're Upset?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rachelb)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

My kindergartener is my "easier" child... but when she gets upset, the rest of us definitely hear it! While my other daughter tends to be mean when she's in Yuck, my kindergartener doesn't say anything. She just cries and cries. And sometimes gives us dirty looks. 

What does your child do when they're in Yuck? Do they yell? Cry? Or hold it in? Do you have any tips for how you handle their big emotions effectively (or ineffectively?!)?

Remember to click on the orange "Subscribe for new replies" button in the upper left-hand corner of this post if you want to hear other parents' stories and tips! 

(@do_better_2019)

Right now she yells. We are going to try a mad journal. I got this idea from a speaker I heard the other day (Nicole W. McGarry, LPC, PLLC). She actually recommended a calming card (list of parent-approved ways the child can choose to calm down each time that parent and child come up with together), but my daughter just wants to try the journal first. I think it will work for her and end up more as a sketchbook.

ReplyQuote
(@cbegnoche)

My 6 year old yells very loudly!  And once he hits a certain point, he name calls, hits, kicks, threatens violence.   We’ve been taking him into him room and coming out and telling him he needs to calm down and he can come out when he’s calm.  Usually he kicks his door, but he will eventually come out.  Sometimes we have to take him up again cause he hasn’t traveled the curve.  And once he’s done, he usually just moves about his day.  He does sometimes now just stomp off to his room on his own which is amazing progress for us! 

ReplyQuote
(@rachelb)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@do_better_2019 These are great! They sound similar to the Yuck Release Strategies that we talk about. Remember that these tend to do better when you talk about them between times of Yuck. (Sometimes when they're actually in Yuck kids refuse to use the strategies -- even when THEY chose them.) Please let us know what works! 

ReplyQuote
(@rachelb)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cbegnoche  Yes, when kids go to a calm-down spot on their own it's such a win! That's great. And I'd call it a win for you that you're recognizing that if he's still being negative, he hasn't fully traveled the curve. 

ReplyQuote
Share: